From: Alan Chuter [mailto:achuter@teleservicios.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2002 10:23 AM
To: w3c-wai-eo@w3.org
Cc: Judy Brewer
Subject: Languages of Policy Document Links

I'm working on the Policy document
(http://www.w3.org/WAI/References/Policy). One of the characteristics of the
document is that there are links to documents in many languages. I'd like
ideas about the best way to indicate the language before the link. Some of
the documents are available in two languages.

My idea is to use the ISO language codes
(http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm) in square brackets [EN][ES]. A
list at the top of the page could explain, or the form <abbr
title="English">EN<abbr>. Although the abbreviation form would have to be
outside the link text (wouldn't it?). But then I don't want to have to
repeat the title for each language version.

[EN] New French Legislation, [FR] New French Legislation.
which repeats the title
[EN] New French Legislation, [FR] La Nouvelle Legislation Francaise.
which looks better, but is really the same
or

[EN][FR]New Legislation in Country
but then the link text doesn't make sense out of context

thanks

Alan Chuter
achuter@teleservicios.com
Fundosa Teleservicios (ONCE Foundation), Madrid, Spain
ONCE (Spanish National Organisation of the Blind)