Re: Auxiliary Benefits: filtering comments

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Letourneau" <cpl@starlingweb.com>
> I am reasonably certain that the "Advertising Institute of America" (if
> such a body exists) has data that shows that nationwide direct-mail
> marketing of any product will generate more sales for that product.  In
> that case, increased audience reach translates directly into increased
> market share.  But in the case of a Web site people still have to come to
> it: i.e. potential audience.  An accessible site only increases the size
of
> the potential audience.  I wish I could tell a company that an accessible
> site guarantees more site traffic, but I can't.

Sure you can. It's the inverse of the following statement, which I consider
valid:
An inaccessible site decreases site traffic.

It appears to me that you're saying something comparable to "one can't claim
that traffic to a store would necessarily increase just because the owner
unlocked the front door." Eventually, someone is going to enter where they
couldn't have before.

Now, imagine that all of your competitors' doors are locked, while yours is
open. (This is arguably the status quo in web accessibility in many areas.)

So, back to my original statement:
An inaccessible site decreases site traffic -- by virtue of turning away
willing visitors.
Lost traffic represents decreased market share.
Therefore,
An accessible site increases site traffic and market share.

-