FW: Len Kasday Offficial

-----Original Message-----
From: jknuth [mailto:jknuth@astro.temple.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 10:01 AM
To: kshea@fedworld.gov
Subject: Len Kasday

Hello Katie,

Below is an email message written by Amy Goldman, Project Director of
Pennsylvania's Initiative on Assistive Technology and Associate Director of
the Institute on Disabilities.  Please disseminate this to everyone who
would
be interested in receiving it.

Jan Knuth

_______________

Dear Friends and Colleagues:

By now you may have heard of the sudden and untimely passing of our dear
colleague Len Kasday on Tuesday, May 15.  Len had had (planned) heart
surgery
at the end of April but apparently was recovering well, so we were--and
are--stunned.

Len had contributed much to improving web access for persons with
disabilities, and his work was not done...among other things, his "WAVE"
had improved our awareness of the impact a bit of up-front "human judgement"
could have on making web sites as accessible as possible...

There will be a memorial service on Thursday, May 24, 2001 at the Morris
Arboretum in Philadelphia, PA.  (For directions go to
www.upenn.edu/morris/drctns.htm).  People will be assembling beginning at
12:30, and the memorial will be from 1-4 pm.  If you plan on attending,
please contact Alison Carey at the Institute on Disabilities, Temple
University,
215-204-1978, acarey01@temple.edu and let her know if you wish to say a few
words.

I am collecting e-mails (send/forward to me at piat@temple.edu), which are
arriving from literally around the world, to share with his wife, Dr.
Linda Knight.  (If you wish Linda's address, please call me at
215-204-3862).

Linda has suggested that,in lieu of flowers, people may wish to make a
donation to the charity of their choice, in Len's memory.  We are also
exploring establishing a scholarship but details are not known at this
time.

Please feel free to contact me if you need additional information.

Amy Goldman,
Associate Director
Institute on Disabilities
Temple University
215-204-3862
piat@astro.temple.edu

Janice L. Knuth, MSW, LSW
Training Coordinator
Pennsylvania's Initiative on Assistive Technology
Institute on Disabilities
Temple University
1301 Cecil B. Moore Ave., 423 RA
Philadelphia, PA 19122