RE: Question out of ignorance

At 09:15 AM 2000-08-30 -0700, you wrote:
>Al,
>Do you have any information on the scope and numbers of people using
>Accessibility devices on the Internet?

No I don't, myself.

I am copying the Education and Outreach Working Group who may have a better
handle on this than I.

I have seen numbers on the order of 50 million Americans with Disabilities
e.g. at <http://www.wid.org/cedd/index.html> and numbers purporting to show
a) that people with disabilities are proportionately _less_ connected to
Internet, and conversely that b) they are proportionately _more_ connected
than the background population.

This does not address the question of how many of these people have
disabilities un-related to Internet use, so they do not require special
technology or settings adaptation for Internet-related functions.

See also HalfThePlanet.COM for another take on this.

Al

PS: EO:  This is a frequently asked question.  If we had a FAQ linked from
the WAI home page header, we might want it to address this question.