Re: The Times survey on .com companies

Hi, Paul.

There is only one invariant rule that I would suggest you should definitely
follow:

* When there are contested points which hang on the interpretation of the
WAI Guidelines, bring the question to the WAI.  You should follow whatever
procedures are established by the WAI for this, but for the time being
until officially directed otherwise, use the list at <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org> to
request interpretation or clarification of the published guidelines.

The rest of these suggestions are more in the "a word to the wise" category
than anything that one would attach a 'must' to:

* Think about what it will take to sustain a designer-friendly admosphere,
an admosphere which will draw successful designers of accessible web
content into the process of spreading the word.

* Before you get too committed to an organization or a planned mode of
operation, talk to the RNIB.  They have engaged in campaigns of this sort
before and I would say they have done it well.

* Stay in touch with what is happening in the WAI-EO working group.  While
your individual group may move ahead faster, it is still smart to use this
forum to stay in touch with what your peers are doing in other languages
and countries.  At least one of your committed people should be a member of
this group and serve as liason or rapporteur.

* Likewise the activities within the U.S. Federal Government to implement
the pending regulations associated with Section 508 of the Rehabiliation
Act (as amended) are something you should be aware of.  Participating in
WAI-EO may be a good way to track what develops here.

* I recommend to anyone contemplating campaigns that they download the
archives of the WebWatch mailing list and do some reading there of success
stories.  There is a lot of wisdom buried in them thar logs.  Start at

Webwatch

http://www.teleport.com/~kford/webwatch.htm

and navigate to

archived postings