Re: Training Resources

Hi William,

William Loughborough wrote:

> It has been pointed out (thanks, Carlos) that for trainers to have as
> complete a set of resources to use in their training it must be pointed
> out to them that, e.g. pointers to the WAI techniques documents must
> include caveats along the lines of the unfortunate "until user
> agents..." clause. I.e., browser incompatabilities that conflict with
> the urge to use CSS, etc. should be noted and updated as the conflicts
> ease.

The main barriers found to the actual implementation of
alternative design techniques using CSS come, unfortunately, from
Netscape 4.x. Among the biggest problems I found:
* All browsers: None or poor implementation of <object>
* All browsers: inconsistent implementation of margin, padding
* Netscape: lousy implementation of inheritance; it gives a lot of
problems when you try to modify characteristics of an element
nested in a DIV, SPAN or TABLE element, among others.
* Netscape: DIV positioned elements get all messed up when user
resizes the window. Solvable by reloading the page with
JavaScript, which depends on whether the user has JavaScript
active.
* All browsers: implementing LONGDESC looks like SCI-FI
* All browsers: different implementation of default font-sizes
* And the list goes on and on ...

A hope: Opera and Mozilla.

> However this should not stop us from providing would-be trainers of Web
> authors and managers with as full a set of resources contributing to
> accessibility as is possible.
>
> So when, as I'm sure you will, you contribute submissions for inclusion
> in the "resources for training" please include any notices of possible
> problems with their use.

I will try to make the previous remarks as structured as possible.
Last week I posted an excellent reference about actual
implementation of CSS2.

--
Dr Carlos A Velasco
mailto:Carlos.Velasco-Nunez@gmd.de   mailto:velasco@pobox.com