Re: Conformance Level

I think here is where i have the problem.  Jason said, "The guidelines are
meant to be an authoritative reference"

As someone who has dealt considerably with requirements for engineering like
ANSI, IEEE, Military standards, Safety of Flight, etc., I do not see the
term "guidelines"  as meant to be an authoritative reference.  In the
enginnering world, the more proper term would be "specification".  A
guideline would be less formal, more of a "how to" or a suggestions and
would be referenced from a more formal document or specification.

This is semantics but subject to interpretation by a wide and vaired
audience.  This is a very important point becasue i am not familiar with the
W3C publish standards.  Hmmm, couldnt Guideline be replced with standard?

If the guidelines are to be amended and re-approved, then that is a given.
A federal entity is expected to endorse the AA conformance level, i think
that is enough incentive to make sure the guidelines'  issues are flushed
out and resolved.  The alternative would be poorly implemented or possible
useless web sites.  Then if they were amended later, there will be much
rework, increased costs and very angry web developers who are caught in the
middle.  You may not know, but I am one of these Federal web developers and
it is an uphill battle.  I have shown this to developers and managers and
they stare and wonder what this thing is.  We need to make guidelines that
can be easily sold!.  Adding an executive summary would be extremely
helpful.  We need something that is easily digestable.

I have an issue with perceptions on "what is expected". If the checklist is
to be a "convenient point of reference which can be used in day-to-day web
content development activities," then this may be where the effort to direct
people and the "Checklist for Dummies" approach can be used. Plus, Chuck and
Geoff's tutorial will help and a training video would be solid too.

As for the Education and Outreach efforts, this is predicated upon a solid
base (my opinion).

rob