Re: Ideas for functional and tech. requirement document.

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 15:07:07 -0400 (EDT)
To: Prof Norm Coombs <nrcgsh@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
cc: Alan Cantor <acantor@oise.utoronto.ca>, WAI Education & Outreach Working Group <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
It is a trivial issue, but there is a very large group of computer
programmers (probably larger as a proportion than among general users) who
prefer to use a command line (keyboard-based) environment than a
'point-and-click' User Interface). However it would be a fair observation
that the proportion of these people is significantly lower in User
Interface Design than in other areas. I personally believe that this is a
result of marketing priorities, since it has been widely accepted for the
last decade or so that graphical User Interfaces are more 'user friendly',
at least in the 'mass-market'.

(I am not a touch typist. But I do prefer to use a keyboard interface for
all common tasks, and find it frustrating when there isn't one.)

Charles McCN