Re: Raggett Guides

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, B.K. DeLong wrote:

> At 12:36 PM 9/1/98 +0000, you wrote:
> >
> > I like Dave Raggett's plain English writing style, and approach to the
> > guides.
>

> This usually doesn't make a difference in HTML but as a developer,
> I've found that having the elements be in CAPS and the attributes
> lowercase makes it a heck of a lot easier to edit an HTML document
> by hand. As David mentions at the top of the document, many people
> still write HTML by hand. In order to easily distinguish actual
> content from the markup, having the elements be in CAPS are
> important.
>
> Thoughts?

We used this convention for the HTML 4.0 spec. However, when editing
by hand, it is much easier to use lowercase through out. My HTML
tidy utility [1] makes it trivial to change your mind though.

The next generation of HTML will be written in XML which is case
sensitive. The HTML working group will have to formally decide which
case to adopt. My expectation is that lower case will prevail.

[1] http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy

    Tidy is a tool to fixup markup errors and tidy up
    sloppy editing into nicely layed out HTML.

tel/fax: +44 122 578 2984 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)