Re: ALT outreach

At 08:24 a.m. 06/29/98 -0700, William Loughborough wrote:
>If we get a tool for maintaining ALT="text" from some combination of the
>ER and AU working groups and then get a massive searcher to locate every
>".gov" site with missing ALTs, we could get a letter (to go with the
>report to each site) from President, Speaker of the House, et al to
>point out that it is incumbent under Title II of ADA to fix this
>problem.

The President, Speaker of the House, and other people don't necessarily
know what an ALT tag is.

So doing this is the same as writing to them and saying "you must
comply with ADA".

So why not just say that?  (This doesn't help our non-American
friends, of course).

[Also, while ANY alt attribute is better than NO alt attribute, there
are some pretty bad ALTs out there which would be considered "yes,
there is an alt", but they suck.  Do we really want to teach this
as correct design?  This is the problem with hoping to automate our
task -- it doesn't accomplish all that we need to say.]

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@hwg.org>
Vice President, Marketing and Outreach, HTML Writers Guild