RE: ATAG 2.0 Focus indicator during navigation

Hi Alex,

I suggest a modified wording because the SC is only level AA in WCAG2, but I would like to see it level A in ATAG2 - because in my opinion sequential keyboard navigation of even moderately complex user interfaces is impossible without it.

I don't know why WCAG set it at AA, but perhaps:

1. on web pages with just a few links, it's not quite so important
- but in ATAG2 we're talking about authoring tool UIs which tend to have more on-screen controls

2. browsers typically display the URI of links (e.g. in the status bar) which might give the user some hint of which link has focus (e.g. if a "Tools" button links to "tools.html")
- but in ATAG we're also talking about non-Web-based tools which won't provide URI hints

3. the WCAG wording "keyboard operable user interface" could be applied to direct keyboard navigation interfaces, where a focus indicator is not necessary (e.g. Press 1 for English, 2 for French, 3 for Spanish)
- so I thought that by making the wording specific to sequential keyboard access, a level A could be better justified.

Cheers,
Jan

(MR) JAN RICHARDS
PROJECT MANAGER