Minutes for AUWG Teleconference on 6 February 2012 3:00pm-4:00pm ET

Minutes: http://www.w3.org/2012/02/06-au-minutes.html

Full text:
WAI AU

Agenda

See also: IRC log
Attendees

Present
    Jeanne, Jan, Andrew, +1.571.765.aaaa, +1.561.582.aabb, Greg, Sueann, Alex, Tim_Boland, Jutta
Regrets
    Cherie_E., Tim_B., Jutta_Treviranus_(partial)
Chair
    Jan Richards
Scribe
    jeanne

Contents

    Topics
        1. Update on WAI-CG "accessible content" discussion (if any)
        A new SC is added to address preservation during "internal" copy-paste:
    Summary of Action Items

<scribe> scribe: jeanne

<Jan> Scribe: jeanne
1. Update on WAI-CG "accessible content" discussion (if any)

<Jan> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-au/2012JanMar/0023.html

<Jan> 2. Copy-paste and ATAG2 Guideline B.1 proposals

<Jan> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-au/2012JanMar/0022.html

Jeanne: No meeting has been scheduled yet, as not everyone has answererd and there is already no time in common.

<Jan> Alastair's email: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-au/2012JanMar/0021.html

JR: Alastair isn't here, so it is difficult to proceed without his feedback.
... looking at his comments: [reads from email]
... If they do know about the formats, map them correctly; if they aren't sure, they can warn that some info may be lost; or have manual checking so that the person knows that current content has accessibility problems.
... text alternatives: If tools have gone to the trouble of making sure that some information is preserved, we would expect them to bring the text alternatives.

<Jan> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-au/2012JanMar/0022.html

JB: The first part of the proposal is adding a note: [quotes from email] that copy paste are not transform operations.

<Jan> Resolution: All agree to add note to content transformations ""NOTE: Clipboard operations, in which content is copied to or pasted from the platform clipboard, are not considered content transformations."" (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-au/2012JanMar/0022.html)

<Jan> [2] A note is added to B.1.2.1 referring to the special case of text alternatives for non-text content (B.1.2.3)

<Jan> [3] Rewording (c) to be clear that it applies only if the session remains open. Also, added note 2 and note 3 which allowed (c) and (d) to be combined.

<Jan> Old text:

<Jan> (c) Automatic Checking: After the transformation, accessibility checking is automatically performed; or

<Jan> (d) Checking Suggested: After the transformation, the authoring tool prompts authors to perform accessibility checking.

JR: If the tool is only exporting this format, then it has to do a or b. We are only talking about transformations where the output is claimed to be accessible.

Alex: I am still not sure about wording. (c) is automatic and (d) is informing the user. Doesn't this require automatic checking?

JR: This is covered in the note.
... An example. A tool that exports pdf. After the export, you can't edit the pdf, but the session prompts that a manual check be perform. -- A manual check wouldn't be appropriate.

Alex: WCAG talks about accessibility supported technology, so text paragraphs would be accessible, because almost none of the WCAG SC would apply. But if you start to use title, etc, then it would fail because the technology wouldn't support it.

JR: so a tab delimited table would fail because the technology wouldn't support.
... Adding the note

<Jan> Proposed note: Note 1: For text alternatives for non-text content, see success criterion B.1.2.4.

Alex: It would be nice to harmonize the text.

<Jan> CURRENT: B.1.2.1 Restructuring and Recoding Transformations (WCAG): If the authoring tool provides restructuring transformations or re-coding transformations, then at least one of the following is true: (Level A to meet WCAG 2.0 Level A success criteria; Level AA to meet WCAG 2.0 Level A and AA success criteria; Level AAA to meet all WCAG 2.0 success criteria)

<Jan> (a) Preserve: Accessibility information (WCAG) is preserved in the output; or

<Jan> (b) Warning: Authors have the default option to be warned that accessibility information may be lost (e.g., when saving a vector graphic into a raster image format); or

<Jan> (c) Automatic Checking: After the transformation, accessibility checking is automatically performed; or

<Jan> (d) Checking Suggested: After the transformation, the authoring tool prompts authors to perform accessibility checking.

<Jan> Note: This success criteria only applies to transformations in which the output technology is an "included" technology for conformance.

<Jan> B.1.2.1 Restructuring and Recoding Transformations (WCAG): If the authoring tool provides restructuring transformations or re-coding transformations, if equivalent mechanisms exist in the web content technology of the output. then at least one of the following is true:

Alex: We could get rid of note 2...

JR: Note 2 is still needed for conformance

<Jan> Note 2: This success criteria only applies to transformations in which the output technology is "included" for conformance.

<Jan> Note: This success criteria only applies when the output technology is "included" for conformance.

[slight preference for 2nd]

<Jan> Resolution: All agree to use this wording for the notes: "This success criteria only applies when the output technology is "included" for conformance."

<Jan> What about: Note 1: For text alternatives for non-text content, see success criterion B.1.2.4.?

Jeanne: I like the note because I think it is helpful to direct people to use the document.

<Jan> Resolution: Add "Note 1: For text alternatives for non-text content, see success criterion B.1.2.4." to B.1.2.1

<Jan> Resolution: All agree to "B.1.2.1 Restructuring and Recoding Transformations (WCAG): If the authoring tool provides restructuring transformations or re-coding transformations, if equivalent mechanisms exist in the web content technology of the output. then at least one of the following is true:"
A new SC is added to address preservation during "internal" copy-paste:

all copy/paste that is put in in a structured way will preserve the structure.

<Jan> B.1.2.2 Copy-Paste Inside Authoring Tool: If the authoring tool provides for copy-paste of *structured content* within the authoring tool, then any accessibility information (WCAG) in the copied content is preserved. (Level A to meet WCAG 2.0 Level A success criteria; Level AA to meet WCAG 2.0 Level A and AA success criteria; Level AAA to meet all WCAG 2.0 success criteria)

<Jan> B.1.2.2 Copy-Paste Inside Authoring Tool: If the authoring tool supports copy-paste of *structured content* within the authoring tool, then any accessibility information (WCAG) in the copied content is preserved. (Level A to meet WCAG 2.0 Level A success criteria; Level AA to meet WCAG 2.0 Level A and AA success criteria; Level AAA to meet all WCAG 2.0 success criteria)

<Jan> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-au/2012JanMar/0022.html

Alex: Is 'provide' the correct word? It would be in conjunction with the underlying OS. 'Supports' would be better.
... the use case in Android with an unstructured clipboard, then accessibility is treated like everything. If it is hacked to keep structure information, then accessibility information is also saved.

[no objections]

<Jan> Resolution: All accept "B.1.2.2 Copy-Paste Inside Authoring Tool: If the authoring tool supports copy-paste of *structured content* within the authoring tool, then any accessibility information (WCAG) in the copied content is preserved. (Level A to meet WCAG 2.0 Level A success criteria; Level AA to meet WCAG 2.0 Level A and AA success criteria; Level AAA to meet all WCAG 2.0 success criteria)"

--
(Mr) Jan Richards, M.Sc.
jrichards@ocadu.ca | 416-977-6000 ext. 3957 | fax: 416-977-9844