Re: Updates to examples a3.1, a3.2 and a3.3.

Hi Sueann,

Here are my comments:

Sueann Nichols wrote:
> *PRINCIPLE A.3: Editing views must be operable*
>
> *Guideline A.3.1 [For the authoring tool user interface] Enhance
> keyboard access to authoring features. [**_Return to Guideline_*
> <http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2009/ED-ATAG20-20090909/Overview.html%5Clgl-tool-keyboard-access>*]*
>
> *Rationale:* Some _authors_
> <http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2009/ED-ATAG20-TECHS-20090909/%5Cldef-Author%5Codefinition:authors>
> with limited mobility or visual disabilities are not able to use a
> mouse, and instead require full keyboard access.
>
> Current A.3.1.1
>
> *A.3.1.1 Keyboard:* All functionality of the _authoring tool_
> <http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2009/ED-ATAG20-TECHS-20090909/%5Cldef-Authoring-Tool%5Codefinition:authoringtool>
> is operable through a keyboard interface without requiring specific
> timings for individual keystrokes, except where the underlying function
> requires input that depends on the path of the _author_
> <http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2009/ED-ATAG20-TECHS-20090909/%5Cldef-Author%5Codefinition:authors>'s
> movement and not just the endpoints. (Level A)
>
> SN Comment – the “underlying function requires input that depends on the
> path of the _author_
> <http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2009/ED-ATAG20-TECHS-20090909/%5Cldef-Author%5Codefinition:authors>'s
> movement and not just the endpoints” doesn’t seem clear. Is the issue
> the need for timing?

JR: This text came from WCAG 2.0 SC 2.1.1. I think the "except" clause
refers more to "is operable through a keyboard interface" than to
"without requiring specific timings for individual keystrokes"...because
of this explanation in Understanding WCAG 2.0:
"The phrase "except where the underlying function requires input that
depends on the path of the user's movement and not just the endpoints"
is included to separate those things that cannot reasonably be
controlled from a keyboard. Most actions carried out by a pointing
device can also be done from the keyboard (for example, clicking,
selecting, moving, sizing). However, there is a small class of input
that is done with a pointing device that cannot be done from the
keyboard in any known fashion without requiring an inordinate number of
keystrokes. Free hand drawing, watercolor painting, and flying a
helicopter through an obstacle course are all examples of functions that
require path dependent input. Drawing straight lines, regular geometric
shapes, re-sizing windows and dragging objects to a location (when the
path to that location is not relevant) do not require path dependent
input. "

> Recommend re-wording:
>
> *A.3.1.1 Keyboard:* All functionality of the _authoring tool_
> <http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2009/ED-ATAG20-TECHS-20090909/%5Cldef-Authoring-Tool%5Codefinition:authoringtool>
> is operable through a keyboard interface and does not require specific
> timings for individual keystrokes. An exception is where the underlying
> function requires input that depends on the path of the _author_
> <http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2009/ED-ATAG20-TECHS-20090909/%5Cldef-Author%5Codefinition:authors>'s
> movement and not just the endpoints, and timing of keystrokes is
> required to support the function. (Level A)

JR: Given what I said above, how about:

"A.3.1.1 Keyboard: All functionality of the authoring tool is operable
through a keyboard interface and does not require specific timings for
individual keystrokes. An exception to keyboard operability is allowed
where the underlying function requires input that depends on the path of
the author's movement and not just the endpoints. (Level A)"

> *Note 1:* The movement path exception relates to the underlying
> function, not the input technique. For example, if using handwriting to
> enter text, the input technique (handwriting) requires path-dependent
> input, but the underlying function (text input) does not.
>
> Current text:
>
> *Note 2:* This does not forbid and should not discourage providing mouse
> input or other input methods in addition to keyboard operation.
>
> Recommended change
>
> *Note 2:* This does not prohibit or discourage providing mouse input or
> other input methods in addition to keyboard operation.

JR: OK

> [...]
>       _web content_
>       <http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2009/ED-ATAG20-TECHS-20090909/%5Cldef-Web-Content%5Codefinition:webcontent>,
>       then a _documented_
>       <http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2009/ED-ATAG20-TECHS-20090909/%5Cldef-Documentation%5Codefinition:documentation>
>       keyboard command is provided that will always restore keyboard
>       focus to a known location (e.g., the menus).
>
>       · *Intent of the Success Criterion A.3.1.2:*
>       The intent of this success criterion is to ensure that neither the
>       _authoring tool_
>       <http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2009/ED-ATAG20-TECHS-20090909/%5Cldef-Authoring-Tool%5Codefinition:authoringtool>'s
>       own user interface nor any rendered _web content_
>       <http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2009/ED-ATAG20-TECHS-20090909/%5Cldef-Web-Content%5Codefinition:webcontent>
>       within _editing views_
>       <http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2009/ED-ATAG20-TECHS-20090909/%5Cldef-Editing-View%5Codefinition:editingview>
>       "traps" keyboard focus. This is a common problem when an
>       interactive object is embedded in the _web content_
>       <http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2009/ED-ATAG20-TECHS-20090909/%5Cldef-Web-Content%5Codefinition:webcontent>.
>       The user might be able to move focus to the object (e.g., by "tab"
>       key), but is then unable to move the focus out using the keyboard
>       because keyboard control has passed to the embedded application.
>
>       · *Examples that meet the Success Criterion:*
>
>                   o *Non-web-based authoring tool:*
>                   A _non-web-based authoring tool_
>                   <http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2009/ED-ATAG20-TECHS-20090909/%5Cldef-Web-Based-UI%5Codefinition:authoringtooluserinterface(Web-based)>
>                   has a user interface that has been thoroughly tested
>                   by the _developer_
>                   <http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2009/ED-ATAG20-TECHS-20090909/%5Cldef-Developer%5Codefinition:authoringtooldevelopers>
>                   to ensure that no _keyboard traps_
>                   <http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2009/ED-ATAG20-TECHS-20090909/%5Cldef-Keyboard-Trap%5Codefinition:keyboardtrap>
>                   exist. In addition, when keyboard focus is in the
>                   _authoring tool_
>                   <http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2009/ED-ATAG20-TECHS-20090909/%5Cldef-Authoring-Tool%5Codefinition:authoringtool>'s
>                   _WYSIWYG_
>                   <http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2009/ED-ATAG20-TECHS-20090909/%5Cldef-WYSIWYG%5Codefinition:WYSIWYG>
>                   _editing view_
>                   <http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2009/ED-ATAG20-TECHS-20090909/%5Cldef-Editing-View%5Codefinition:editingview>,
>                   _authors_
>                   <http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2009/ED-ATAG20-TECHS-20090909/%5Cldef-Author%5Codefinition:authors>
>                   can restore focus to the _authoring tool_
>                   <http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2009/ED-ATAG20-TECHS-20090909/%5Cldef-Authoring-Tool%5Codefinition:authoringtool>'s
>                   menus at any time (i.e., by pressing the "alt" key).
>
>                   SN Comment: Remove “by the developer” – just needs to
>                   be tested, don’t need to specify who does it.

JR: OK...but then I'd like to say during development. This is afterall
an informative technique rather than a normative success criteria.

--
Jan Richards, M.Sc.
User Interface Design Lead

   Email: jan.richards@utoronto.ca