Re: ATAG 2.0's "Web Content Accessibility Benchmark" and WCAG 2.0's "Accessibility Supported"

Hi Jan,

At 16:59 19/06/2007, Jan Richards wrote:

>On yesterday's AUWG call I took an action item to consider how ATAG
>2.0's "Web Content Accessibility Benchmark" relates to WCAG 2.0's
>"Accessibility Supported".
>
>URLs:
>http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2007/WD-ATAG20-20070615/WD-ATAG20-20070615.html#conf-benchmark
>http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#accessibility-support
>

>NOTE: I will use "technology/content-type" since these different
>terms are used in pretty much the same way (more on that later).
>

>SOME INTERESTING PARALLELS:
>
>(...)
>
>POSSIBILITIES FOR SYNCHRONIZATION:
>
>1. ATAG 2.0 and WCAG 2.0 should use a common term for
>technology/content-type. AUWG's problem with the current WCAG 2.0
>definition of "technology" ("markup language, programming language,
>style sheet, data format, or API ") is the appearance of the term
>"API" in the list. For the record, ATAG 2.0's current definition of
>"content-type" is "A data format, programming or markup language
>that is intended to be retrieved and rendered by a user agent (e.g.,
>HTML, CSS, SVG, PNG, PDF, Flash, JavaScript or combinations).".

Two notes about the definition of "technology" in WCAG 2.0:
* the glossary entry is not referenced from anywhere else in the
document, so it doesn't follow the "style guide";
* the definition is actually an enumeration instead of a proper
definition, so we need something else.

Maybe WCAG could take "API" out of the definition of "technology",
and say "technology" or "technology and/or API" in the rest of the
document depending on which is the intended meaning in the context.

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe