Re: automatic acronym/abbreviation generator

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gregg Vanderheiden" <gv@trace.wisc.edu>
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2005 1:10 AM
Subject: FW: automatic acronym/abbreviation generator

>An interesting tool for automatically marking up abbreviations and
>acronyms.
>You enter HTML text and it puts the markup in for you.
>Also tells you if multiple entries
>Have written him to talk more.

Not good application for two issues:

1. it bases acronym and abbr show to colour (red and blue), so this
don't is good for guideline 2 in WCAG 1.0
2. it marquee with title all the acronym-abbr instead of only the first
sentence.
3. Acronym/abbr cannot be machine-automated, due for that different
acronym in different situation could be use different text. Look here
for example:
http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Acronym=PHP only
in english this service has 21 meanings.

I think that should be an ATAG problem/techniques (for integrate the
acronym selection in CMS / Editors like in www.xstandard.com). For eg.,
acronymfinder let to have client side control:

http://www.acronymfinder.com/tools.asp

and I think also something like webservices and possibility to use their
db:
http://www.acronymfinder.com/licensing.htm