Re: Charter - action required

On Tuesday, January 14, 2003, at 12:20  PM, Jan Richards wrote:

> Comments on the charter:
>
> - Check all references to ATAG 1.0 to see if they should be "ATAG 2.0"
> or "ATAG 1.0 and/or ATAG 2.0"

I've made one change to include ATAG 2.0 ("Commitments from significant
authoring tool developers to implement ATAG 1.0 and 2.0 in future
product releases.") where it was missing before. I believe that all
other references to support of ATAG 1 alone refer to maintenance tasks;
all those that refer to ATAG 2

> - In 5.2, we list some of the format groups. Do we have dependencies on
> just this subset or on all W3 format groups? Having dependencies on
> almost every other group in W3C seems a bit much. Perhaps what we have
> is our own job to do, with input from these other groups, rather than
> Dependencies with capital "D"'s.

We should note dependencies on groups from whom we expect feedback, or
to which we wish to provide input.

Protocols and Formats is the group that resolves all extra-WAI issues.
Personally, I think we can remove:
Education and Outreach (they have a dependency on us to produce
specifications for them to evangelize, according to their charter)
User Agent WG (our overlap happens via WCAG, not directly)

In fact, the UA charter sidesteps all interaction with WAI:
"The UAWG will interact with the following non-WAI W3C Working Groups
via the Protocols and Formats Working Group..."
I think this may be the best approach for us.

I also think Amaya's reference is wrong. Amaya is chartered to
implement ATAG, and at least in recent times we have not had a
relationship with them that has involved iterative refinement anyway. I
would change Amaya's dependency to read:
The Amaya Activity will provide a reference implementation of the
Guidelines.
or:
The Amaya Activity will provide a testbed for implementation of the
Guidelines.

> - In 13.3 change:
> related to the User Agent Accessibility Guidelines
> to:
> related to the Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines

done.

I have committed these changes, along with a change to the end date of
the charter (the WAI Technical Activity charter ends in June 2004, so
we have to end ours in May, since WGs cannot exist without a governing
Activity.)

-