Re: The hreflang Attribute

At 22:52 02/04/24 +0200, Stefan Schumacher wrote:
>Hello Alexander!
>Hello translators!
>
>In my opinion this attribute would only make sense in the
>translations, if the browser would show the user the given language
>information in some way. So that he could see, if there is a link to
>an already translated document or to the original. But the contents
>of the link/document should already say that.
>
>Question: Youエre not allowed to change a link in the reference
>section to point to a translated document, arenエt you?

I think Alex wasn't proposing to do that. Only to add an attribute
to say that the reference is in English. And while it's very
desirable to keep the references to the originals, the text
of the reference may be translated, and a notice "(in English)"
or so may be added.

>You have to
>make a comment that is different in style below the original link (or
>something like that) to show, that it is a comment. So the user knows
>from the content what language he could expect, if he follows a link.

Using a different style is preferable, but in this specific case,
adding text such as "(Russian translation)" is necessary anyway,
and then it's pretty clear that this didn't come from the original.

>Does any browser recognize the hreflang attribute and if it does,
>what action does it take?

I don't know about any such browser, but would like to know.

>Are there any search bots, that search for documents in a certain
>language and would take advantage of the attribute, so that it would
>be justified to use it?

Interesting idea.

Regards,    Martin.