Re: Translation of personal names (was: Re: XHTML Basic)

At 23:24 02/04/13 +0200, Stefan Schumacher wrote:
>Hello translators,
>Hello Alexander,
>
> > > just to swim against the tide. I never translate peopleエs names, not
> > > because Iエm afraid of the work to find all languages for the
> > > xml:lang, but I think it is simply not necessary.
> >   Ordnung muss sein, Stefan.
>Tell me, where do you know this sentence from?
>Itエs the most popular sentence in Germany. ;-)

For those who don't know, it means 'Order must be', or
in a better translation, something like 'Things must be kept in order.'

> >   Note that the first appearance of "Deiv Reggitt" was not translated
> >   (because it's a heading) as well as the third one (because it's not
> >   the first appearance). If you use this style any reader who reads
> >   the article from the very beginning will notice the original form.
>
>Ok, so if your newspapers do it this way, your readers are used to
>it. So itエs the right way for you.
>(Personly I would prefer to always read the original name of somebody
>and see the pronounciation once.)
>Our newpapers handle that a bit different.

Well, I disagree. Have you ever seen a Russian name in its
original? I think more or less the rule is, in most places:
- Names in the same script are kept as is (within the limits
   of available accents,...)
- Names in a different script are transliterated. In most cases,
   the original is not given at all, definitely not in German
   newspapers.

Regards,    Martin.