Re: 5.2 Linking element corrals?

At 12:33 PM -0800 3/4/97, Tim Bray wrote:
>The premise is that since extended links are independent of their
>resources, they can be difficult to find.  One solution is to
>corral them into one spot, either within a document or in a special
>external document.
>
>5.2.a Should we provide an element to serve as a corral for extended
>linking elements?

No. Authors can define one if they need to do it.

>5.2.b If so, should we require its use?

No. I don't believe that it has enough value to justify controlling the
user's markup.

Despite the feeling that it's hard to find elements, you still have to find
the corral... I have not seen an argument that shows how corrals really
make things significantly easier, so I don't believe that they do.

>5.2.c If we allow but not require its use, should we require that if the
>corral is used, there be no extended linking elements outside it?

No.

>5.2.e Should we specify LINKSET documents, i.e. external entities
>existing only to contain extended link corrals.

no. Even more restrictive than corrals. Emphatic no.
This makes external links extremely difficult to control, especially when
they are used within a document (eg. footnotes, commentary, local
imagemaps)...

>5.2.f If we specify LINKS and/or LINKSETS, should we discuss the temporal
>effectivity and user-visibility of the links therein, in terms of the
>period the document is "open"?

We need to specify "minimal effectivity," so that users of a document are
free to keep as many external links as they want open -- but an author
shuld be guaranteed that once all companion documents are available, all
the external links in those companions will be visible in the starting
(displayed or current) document.

   In other words we want to enable authors to say what is _part of a
document_ but we might as well let readers determine if they want to add
links on their own (for bookmarks or commentaries, etc.).

  -- David