Charter amendment: hypertext experts

In order to allow certain selected hypertext experts to participate in
Phase II of the XML effort, the SGML ERB voted last week to amend
Section 2.1 of the WG/ERB charter document tr-1996-01 to change one of
the two criteria for WG membership from "persons with SGML expertise"
to "persons with expertise in SGML or hypertext".  A two-thirds vote
of the ERB is required to make such amendments.  The vote was as
follows:

Yes: Bosak, Bray, Magliery, Paoli, DeRose, Kimber, Maler, Hollander,
     Sperberg-McQueen, Sharpe

No:  Clark

Section 2.1 before amendment:

 <H3>2.1 Membership</H3>
 <P>Members of the SGML Working Group (WG) are persons with SGML
 expertise who wish to promote the use of generic SGML on the Internet.
 SGML WG members need not be employees of W3C member organizations.
 </P>

Section 2.1 after amendment:

 <H3>2.1 Membership</H3>
 <P>Members of the SGML Working Group (WG) are persons with expertise
 in SGML or hypertext who wish to promote the use of generic SGML on
 the Internet.  SGML WG members need not be employees of W3C member
 organizations.
 </P>

Note that the requirement that new WG members can only be proposed by
the Chair or by W3C member organizations still applies and that I will
be very reluctant to add persons with no SGML experience unless they
can make uniquely useful contributions to our discussion of hypertext
mechanisms.

Jon Bosak
Chair, SGML ERB and WG