Re: Courting Joe Homepage

In my former life I probably worked with more varieties of broken HTML than
anyone should ever have to.  Perhaps as a result of this, I believe there is
little value in structuring XML to catch the output of Joe Homepage.

That said, it is nonetheless clear that it would be good if XML could be read
by HTML browsers.

Basically, I think that anything on the Web that is worth saving was created
by somebody with a modicum of care, such that it could easily be turned
into a valid form or (even more likely) the HTML was generated from something
else anyhow, thus would be easily replaced by XML.

The design compromises involved in attempting to grandfather the population
of bogus pseudo-HTML documents seem way too expensive at this point in time.

Cheers, Tim Bray
tbray@textuality.com http://www.textuality.com/ +1-604-488-1167