Re: PIs in XML

>----------

I am posting my opinion based on
*	it shuld be simple
*	there should be (almost) no exception

>1. Are applications able to receive the XML declarations?
>
>	An XML declaration is syntactically a PI whose target is
>'XML'; is such a declaration passed to an application?  I can think
>of three possible cases. Which of them is correct?
>
>(a) An application cannot receive any XML declarations.  The XML
>   declarations are just for XML processors and not for applications.

This is an exception - I would not take it

>(b) An application can receive the XML declarations by requesting
>   them to the XML processor.

It is complicated - I would not take it

>(c) An application always receives the XML declarations.

Thats it. An application receives all PIs.

>2. Is an application able to request a specific type of the PIs?
>
>	For example, suppose that an application needs the PIs whose
>target is 'FOO'.  Can the application indicate the required type to
>the XML processor?

This depends on the processing model of the application.
It should not be part of XML-LANG.

>3. Which portion of PI is passed to an application?
>
>	Will all the character data between '<?' and '?>' be passed to
>an application, or does an XML processor select or modify the data?
>Eespecially, will the target name be passed to the application?

It is also an implementation detail. But XML-LANG says
that there is a PI target. So Pis can be passed to an
application as "pi-Nodes" having a Generic Identifier
(which is thie PI target) and "#pcdata" which is the "char*"
in production 18.

>4. Are the PI targets (names) case-sensitive?

Case sensitivity was discussed recently in the context of IDs.
As far as I remember IDs are case sensitive. XML-LANG says nothing
about Names being not case sensitive. So I think PI targets
should be case sensitive also. .

>Murata, Makoto
>Fuji Xerox Information Systems
>
>Tel: 044-812-7230   Fax: 044-812-7231
>E-mail: murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp

Regards/Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Bernhard Weichel              Phone:  (49) 711 811 8322
Robert Bosch GmbH               Fax:  (49) 711 811 8262
Dept. K3/EES4                 eMail:  bernhard.weichel@pcm.bosch.de
P.O. Box 30 02 40
D-70442 Stuttgart
Germany