RE: Meaning of normative references [was: Update on namespaces]

Unless you mean this as some sort of reference to Positivist philosophy,
I think the meaning is clear: XML is a subset of SGML. If something is
valid XML, then it is valid SGML.  This has nothing to do with how such
validity is tested, it is a simple statement of fact regarding the two
notational systems and the relation between documents conforming to the
rules of each.