RE: IDs - make them case sensitive

At 1 Jul 1997 12:12 -0700, Murray Altheim wrote:
 > W. Eliot Kimber <eliot@isogen.com> writes:
 > > Not true, if I understand your point.  The reference concrete syntax does
 > > not specify the digits as name start characters, but XML is not using the
 > > reference concrete syntax and few useful SGML tools do not allow variant
 > > syntaxes (and therefore will allow you to redefine the name start
 > > characters) [The only one I can think of off hand in Panorama, which
 > > doesn't read SGML declarations at all and simply provides a longer name
 > > length automatically.].
 >
 > Well, unless I was doing it incorrectly (which is certainly possible), I
 > couldn't get nsgmls to accept digits as namestart characters. I changed
 > both LCNMSTRT and UCNMSTRT to "0123456789" in the DCL and it produced
 >
 >     nsgmls:html32.dcl:48:15:E: digits assigned to LCNMCHAR, UCNMCHAR,
 >         LCNMSTRT or UCNMSTRT: 48-57
 >
 > If this is an error I'm making, a correction would be welcome. If I'm not,
 > and nsgmls is operating in conformance, and my last perusal of the SGML
 > Handbook was not in error, I believe this may be not only a requirement of
 > the RCS, but of 8879 in general. Again, I bow to those with greater experience
 > in these matters.

See sections 9.2.1 and 9.3 of 8879 (pages 344-346 of the SGML
Handbook) and section 13.4.5 (page 464 of the Handbook).

Section 9.2.1 defines what can be a name start character, which is
upper and lowercase letters and the uppercase and lowercase name start
characters.  Section 13.4.5 states that a Digit cannot be an uppercase
or lowercase name start character.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham, Consultant
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.                         Phone: 301-231-6931
6010 Executive Blvd., Suite 608                     Fax:   301-231-6935
Rockville, MD USA 20852                 email: tgraham@mulberrytech.com