Re: 1.4 a-c: Basic Terminology

murray@spyglass.com (Murray Altheim) wrote:

> >1.4.a What do we call the container used to hold the bits that
> > point at other things?  (in current discussion: link)
> >1.4.b What do we call the bits that point at other things? (in current
> > discussion: pointer)
> >1.4.c What do we call the things that are pointed at? (in current
> > discussion: terminus)
>
> I think we might add to this:
>
>   1.4.d What do we call the things that point at other things as well as
>         are pointed at?

I don't think there is any such thing in XML.

[ * * * Warning: HyTime spoken below; feel free to skip  * * * ]

The only thing that can point at other things as well as
be pointed at is a location address-form element "X" which
is referenced by a locator "Y", where "Y" has an explicit reference
resolution level.  Otherwise locator "Y" references whatever
"X" points to, and not "X" itself.  XML doesn't have reflevel
or any equivalent thereof, so this situation is as far as I
can tell impossible.

[ * * * HyTime warning over, you can keep reading now  :-) * * * ]

> This follows from my other message regarding links (nee HTML Anchors) that
> contained both NAME and HREF attributes.

In this case, the A element can be, in the current
terminology, one of:

    + <A HREF=...>: a link and a terminus (of that same link)
    + <A NAME=...>: a (potential) terminus (of some other link)
    + <A NAME=... HREF=...>:  both of the above.

Here the pointer -- the thing which points at something else --
is the HREF attribute, and there does not appear to be a way for
this to be pointed at.

--Joe English

  jenglish@crl.com