1.3, Notation: SGML? Reference Concrete?

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 11:09:07 -0800
To: w3c-sgml-wg@www10.w3.org
1.3.a Should we assume that saying links are expressed using SGML elements
and attributes, and describing them in SGML terms, is a satisfactorily
complete syntax spec, thus avoiding a requirement for any BNF?

1.3.b If links are SGML elements, should require XML-style reference
concrete syntax + quoted attribute values?  I.e. assert that
all links would fit into XML docs?