Re: TEI xptrs as URLs?

At 11:53 AM 1/28/97, Terry Allen wrote:
>Gavin responds:
>| >How may TEI extended pointers be expressed as URLs?
>|
>| We've already shown some different possible syntaxes...
>| one with TEI pointers as fragment specifiers and the other
>| with the pointer as part of the URL itself (David
>| and I had a length debate about these recently!!).
>
>I think one and only one syntax should be chosen (preferrably by
>the TEI folks rather than the SERB).

I think I'll take a chance in speaking "for the TEI" in saying that the TEI
does not try to specify such processing details. Michael can correct me if
I'm wrong.

> Then it should be ascertained
>whether existing servers (no arguments about software that
>doesn't exist, please, or at least take them to another thread
>I can ignore) can deal with such URLs.

Well, we have to talk about XML clients (and they don't exist), or else
there is nothing to say.

> If they can't, cut
>TEI pointers out of the xmllink spec because they won't work.

We are specifying semantics for applications, not servers (The upshot of
the long discussion, I thought), so that TEI locators can work by
definition. The effective algorithm for implementing them on a client is
easy, even if it may be inefficient for large, prooly designed XML
documents.

>If they can, require TEI pointers to be expressed as URLs and cut
>TEI pointers out of the xmllink spec (except for a reference
>to the separate specification of how you URLulate a TEI pointer)
>because it's not necessary to talk about types of URLs.

If we use fragment specifiers, we can define them to do whatever we want,
and it's not a new URL scheme, but part of the XML media type, if I
understand the prior discussion. I think that we want to, and that we can,
come up with a solution that works without placing requirements on anything
other than the XML application.

     --- David