Re: 'XML browser'

From: Jon Bosak <bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 08:44:25 -0800
To: w3c-sgml-wg@www10.w3.org
CC: bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM
[Peter Murray-Rust:]

| I'd like to suggest features of 'an XML browser' and a 'generic XML
| application'; this also picks up the themes of 'killer apps' and
| 'marketing' which have been raised by Jon and others.  I appreciate
| that implementation may be slightly off-topic but I have personally
| found that it's very valuable to have an idea of what the final
| product (e.g.  XML is going to be used for and what it will look
| like).

I really like this line of thought, but given the need to stay focused
on the XML linking stuff for the next couple of months, I (somewhat
reluctantly) am going to rule this level of discussion out of bounds
for the moment.  Unfortunately there is no ideal place for it; there
is no comp.text.xml list, and I don't know that we have arrived at the
right time to start one.  (Does someone want to set up an open XML
mailing list?  It's a lot of work.)  Until some better alternative
appears, I suggest that discussions like this one take place in
comp.text.sgml.

Jon