Re: Relationship Taxonomy Questions

From: len bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 16:33:27 -0600
To: "David G. Durand" <dgd@cs.bu.edu>
CC: w3c-sgml-wg@www10.w3.org
David G. Durand wrote:

> The "issue" of link-rendering-style indirection being hard to implement is
> simply a non-issue.

No one said it was hard to implement.  We've all done that.
I say:

1.  You cannot eliminate applications from XML that do not use it
in all cases.

2.  In cases where you do not eliminate it, a pure indirect system
requirement is fruitless.  XML has the power to make a pure indirect
system possible; I doubt it has the power to eliminate them.

I do not believe all linking is a rendering issue but we don't
have to debate it any longer.  I see the shape of the thing and
am not concerned for XML 1.0.

len