Re: Taxonomy, Link Relationships - where does it all fit?

From: Jon Bosak <bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 10:17:10 -0800
To: w3c-sgml-wg@www10.w3.org
CC: bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM
[Sean Mc Grath:]

| I have been trying to build a mental picture of what has been
| discussed in recent days and have ended up with a 3 layered model (and
| some comments about a possible level 4).

[Proposal omitted]

My mental picture of what we're doing is more market-oriented than
architectural.  I'm seeing applications falling into three basic
categories:

1. Applications that require extensible content markup and nothing
else.  Examples: interprocess communication, exchange of data between
heterogeneous databases.  Specification: XML.

2. Applications that also require linking but use programmed routines
(typically Java applets) to generate displays or perform other
processing.  Examples: Pinnacles circuit modelers, airline scheduling
systems, CML.  Specifications: XML and XML-LINK.

3. Applications that perform linking and also need a stylesheet
language to handle complex display behavior in a standard way.
Examples: Advanced Web publishing applications.  Specifications: XML,
XML-LINK, and XML-STYLE.

Please note that this is just a snapshot of my personal mental model
this Sunday morning, and as a marketing view, it makes no claim to be
architecturally coherent.

Jon