Re: Base

From: David G. Durand <dgd@cs.bu.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 22:17:49 -0500
To: w3c-sgml-wg@www10.w3.org
At 3:28 PM 1/23/97, lee@sq.com wrote:
>David Durand writes:
>> But SYSTEM IDs should not be included. In SGML, they are reserved for
>> "non-portable" identifiers,
>No.  They are system specific.  They are not _required_ to be non-portable.
>SGML makes no promise that they are portable. but certainly does not say
>that any document using a portable SYSTEM identiifier is invalid!!!

A SYSTEM identifier is _always_ non-protable, because I am not _required_
to implement any semantics for SYSTEM identifiers.

>For XML, it would be possible and acceptable to requre specific forms of
>system identifiers in certain places, and in fact we have already done so
>by using URLs.

Eliot's query was about a potential SGML feature. So I answered in terms of
SGML. Actually, in SGML there's a bit better case because of FSIs, but even
there, it's thin. In XML I think the case is worse, since a URL is
well-known to be a transient thing.

But as this is not an XML issue, we should abandon it.

  -- David