Re: Permitting non-indirect links

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 06:28:58 -0500
To: w3c-sgml-wg@www10.w3.org
Martin Bryan wrote:
> Then XML will offer existing HTML users no better mechanism for link
> management than their already non-existent facilities. Why on earth should
> they change?

While I believe that there is merit to your proposal, I do not think it is fair to say
that anyone is suggesting that XML link should always be as utterly umanagable as
HTML's. Entities, for instance, provide URL component reuse (though not as flexible as
your proposed version). XML will probably allow indirectable links. XML will probably
allow independant links.

In my mind, the benefit to your idea is that, the link "base" can be in a different
document instance (as I understand it). Will this have real-world value, though?

 Paul Prescod