Re: Permitting non-indirect links

lee@sq.com wrote:

> Eliot wrote:
> > There is no HyTime-direct way to say that you want an address to be cobbled
> > together from a variety of attributes on the same element, [but]
> > you can always define a "query" that will give you the effect, however
> > twisted such an approach might be.

> Existing practice shows the need for simplicity.

Consider that there are multiple hub-capable languages on
the internet.  More are being added.  Most support URLs.
That is granted.  However, things can be more complicated
than HTML (a specific application).  VRML (another specific
application) allows for links with multiple URLs.  These
are used to declare precedence to the VRML browser
for a set of targets.  XML is not an application:  it
as is SGML is a metalanguage.  So, while we can always
use or recommend application conventions, we still are
left with either

1.  Define a way to define links (meta)
2.  Define the links (application).

Decide what the requirements are.