Re: back to XML: The "You Babe" problem

From: <lee@sq.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 97 15:40:30 EST
To: w3c-sgml-wg@www10.w3.org
pbg@arbortext.com (Paul Grosso) wrote:
> But entities do not do case folding with the RCS, so this is not
> relevant.  The huge majority of standard entities are lowercase,
> and lowercase doesn't require using the shift key.

On the other hand, we have to worry about conflicting with existing
entity names.  &u-grave; &u-bar; and &u-acute; can't be taken for hex
numbers, I suppose, but I'd still be happier with &U-DEAF; instead.

Something like &#0xDeaf; is even better, although this can't be
represented in SGML today.  &#xDeaf; might actually work better for
backward compatibility, I'm not sure.  &-xml-utf-babe; would work,
and would follow the XML philosophy on namespace, but is slightly
more verbose!

Lee