Re: Using HyTime Arcform stuff (was Re: Ephemeral XML?)

At 1:27 PM 1/14/97, Len Bullard wrote:
>David G. Durand wrote:
>>
>> I still disagree that we should be saying anything about APIs, except in
>> the context of style sheets. Stylesheets are for declarations of
>>formatting or other
>> processing behavior.
>
>Given a better definition or term for stylesheet, I might agree.

Even the temr stylesheet is disposable in the above. What I really mean is:

"Markup is for declarative, structural information.  Formatting or other
processing behavior is declared externally to the document."

>However, this is the ONLY community I am aware of that uses
>the term "stylesheet" for anything other than formatting.  There
>will be a problem if DSSSL is the only legal way to handle
>XML processing engines.  XML will be excellent for applications
>that don't know a DSSSL spec or engine exists.  As I noted earlier,
>DSSSL and HyTime are on equal footing with regards to widespread
>adoption and implementation.

   DSSSL is the only processing standard that this group is comitted to
produce. I stringly believe that we need to address CSS, and a way to pass
markup structures to Java applets via some kind of CSS and DSSSL bindings.
But that is not an argument for the moment, I think.

   Even though we may not standardise anything other than DSSSL, we are
certainly not preventing other groups from doing so...