Re: Radical cure for BOS confusion

At 05:05 PM 1/9/97 -0500, David G. Durand wrote:
>At 4:26 PM 1/9/97, papresco wrote:
>>Does this mean that the documents to be analyzed must adhere to a DTD? Note
>>that there is a large commercial market (and robust freeware "market") for
>>spiders, link checkers, web site downloaders, etc. DTD-less XML documents
>>should not be less workable in this regard than HTML documents.
>
>Ss far as I can tell, all architectural form proposals will require adding
>attributes to elements. If we don't want to put them on every single
>element we will have to put them in the DTD. If we let the first occurrence
>set a default, we have introduced a serial dependency of the sort we
>intentionally avoided in the definition of the XML language.

Any solution that does not require every single element to explicitly
declare its semantics will introduce a serial dependancy, including putting
the architectural forms in the DTD. If I hyperlink into the middle of a
document and only ask for an element or entity from that document, that
element or entity is dependant on the doctype declaration from the top of
the document.

Could we solve this problem without a bunch of redundant information (in
either the DTD or the document)? For instance:

<MYPROPRIETARYLINK -XML-HYPERLINK="http://www.foo.com/entity1.ent">

This attribute both declares the XHyTime role of the element and does the
actual linking.

 Paul Prescod