Re: Radical cure for BOS confusion (2 ccs' to Jon's address deleted)

At 12:46 PM 1/9/97 -0500, David G. Durand wrote:
>>If I understand the proposal correctly,
>>ilinks can be scattered throughout a document like raisins in a
>>pudding, and any one of them can potentially pull into the BOS any
>>number of other ilinks via recursion.
>
>No. Only an occurence of a required-for-processing AF instance pulls in
>other documents. That is the real difference between the HyTime BOS, which
>follows all links to some fixed level of recursion, and the XML BOS that I
>am proposing, which pulls in only documents explicitly requested by the
>author.

Just a point of detail: in HyTime, the HyTime BOS is determined *entirely*
by entity declarations, resolved recursively, not links.  By "HyTime BOS" I
mean the minimum BOS that a HyTime engine would define by examining entity
declarations starting with those in the hub document and applying the
boslevel, maxbos, and inbos constraints.  An application is then free to
add or delete from the HyTime BOS by whatever means, including the
examination of links.

But the core idea of BOS in HyTime is one of packaging entities, with the
presumption that link traversal to objects outside the BOS is either not
allowed or is not done without prior consent of the author.

Cheers,

E.
--
W. Eliot Kimber (eliot@isogen.com)
Senior SGML Consulting Engineer, Highland Consulting