Re: Can we be more concrete? (3 cc's deleted from two headers)

At 11:57 AM 1/9/97 -0500, David G. Durand wrote:
[...]
>our doors. After all, we don't intend to provide custom XML methods to link
>to sub-parts of elements (like attribute values, etc.). I don't think even
>HyTime can do this easily for parsed data, though maybe the new grove stuff
>enables it.

Yes, the new grove stuff enables it.  It's simply a series of "property
locations" and name-space locations that step through the revant properties
and nodes in the grove.  For example, to get to an attribute value, you
need to get the "value" property of the "attribute assignment" node that is
a member of the "attributes" property of an element node (whew).  I can
address this value property like so, given this target element:

<para id="foo" security="unsecure">

<!-- select security attribute assignment object from "attributes property:
     (name-space location address includes implicit property location address
     of name space property named on namespc attribute) -->
<nmsploc id="security-att"
         locsrc="foo"
         namespc="attributes">security</nmsploc>
<proploc id="sec-value"
         locsrc="security-att"
         >value</proploc>

<para>The value of para "foo"'s security attribute is
<link linkend="sec-value"/>.</para>

By this same approach, you can easily (if not concisely) address any node
in any grove.  All you need to know is the property set and grove plan and
you know all you need to know to build the addresses.  Obviously you can do
the above more concisely with the equivalent DSSSL query, which I leave as
an exercise for the reader.

Cheers,

E.
--
W. Eliot Kimber (eliot@isogen.com)
Senior SGML Consulting Engineer, Highland Consulting