Re: (Final?) new term: "XML BOS"

At 13:45 8/1/97 -0500, David G. Durand wrote:
>MSM has pointed out to me that "working document set" is confusing, since
>unlike a real working set, the working document set is expcitly declared
>rather than deduced by the system.  He likes BOS better.
>
>   Since the HyTime BOS may not be what we want, and Application BOS is not
>well defined, I propose that we are discussing how to declare the XML
>Bounded Object Set (XML BOS), and what it should include. Hopefully we can
>settle on that realtively clear term, and just stick to arguing about what
>is in it, rather than what to call it.

My objection is to the use of Bounded in the name. In the HyTime BOS the
rules for drawing the boundary are clearly defined. In the XML case they
cannot be, and if author control of OS definition is allowed, as I pray it
will be, the boundary will be so fuzzy it will simply consist of a set of
points in the docuverse. I would prefer XML Required Document Set or some
such term that gets away from the idea of a boundary.
----
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.u-net.com/~sgml/