Re:Link Indirection

At 05:45 PM 1/5/97 -0500, papresco wrote:
>At 01:47 PM 1/5/97 -0900, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
>>But we're not necessarily requiring the DTD--the mapping can be with
>>explicitly-specified attributes (rather than with #FIXED attributes).  It
>>just means adding the attributes to the instance in the case where the DTD
>>has been omitted (or is indicated as not being required for processing).
>
>Would the author have to add it to every element that is to be mapped, or
>once per document?

I suppose it depends on any defaulting rules XML decides to define as part
of its general semantic architecture (which it will presumably have,
although we haven't discussed it explicitly).

It would be simple enough to say something like "lacking a DTD, XML
processors shall associate the first specification of an -xml-arctype
attribute encountered in a document to all elements of the same type that
do not exhibit an -xml-arctype attribute." (Where "-xml-archtype" is
whatever attribute we choose for naming XML-defined architectural element
types.

That seems like a pretty intuitive behavior to me.

Cheers,

E.
--
W. Eliot Kimber (eliot@isogen.com)
Senior SGML Consulting Engineer, Highland Consulting