Re: FPIs

At 02:03 PM 11/27/96 -0500, Murray Altheim wrote:
>I have a rather simple argument, and nothing along the lines of the
>manifesto you demand (and maybe others are willing to deliver):
>
>    "I don't want to hard code a SYSTEM identifier in 10,000 documents."
>
>Using even relative URLs (which doesn't really solve the problem, and
>introduces others such as ambiguity) provides no level of indirection,
>which is required for portability.

Indirection could be (and should be) provided for in the markup. Once we get
hyperlinking working, couldn't you embed an XML fragment that is referenced
in an XML document at another site in another character set?

>I just read Jon's plea for movement of discussion back in line with our
>agenda, so until we revisit this issue (after hyperlinks), I'll shelve this
>one.

Isn't this hyperlinks? A syntax for objects to embed other objects sounds
like linking to me.

 Paul Prescod