Re: CSS vs. DSSSL-O

Terry Allen wrote:

> Is it an implication of the <li> above, and the sentiment
> expressed in this thread that dsssl-o is XML's style sheet
> language (and not CSS) that an applet that handles the putative
> airline schedule exports either a dsssl-o style sheet or a FOT
> to the rendering application?  (Just asking.)

Based on the WG's charter, dsssl-o is XML's style sheet language. I for one
wouldn't mind discussing the possibility of one or more alternatives - like CSS.
However, any discussion on style sheets should occur after we handle link syntax
and semantics.

HTML already has style sheets, broken though they may be. If we waste time
arguing about CSS and dsssl now, we won't make progress on linking and that is
an area where HTML is clearly lacking. Beyond allowing extensible structure and
markup, XML can differentiate itself from HTML by providing richer link
semantics. We can do this in time for WWW6 as long as we remain focussed.

I'd like to see us move into the "link phase" of our discussions. We have the
right people assembled to rationally discuss this issue. We have demonstrated
that we can have meaningful discussions, argue points strongly, (reasonably)
reach consensus, remain (relatively) focussed, and perhaps most important,
effectively communicate our decisions outside this WG.

Let's keep up the good work by remaining focussed on the next task - link syntax
and semantics. We have an opportunity to make a significant contribution to the
Web community at large by establishing some simple, well-defined constructs for
hypertext links in XML. Style sheets come later.