Re: XML Draft Section 2.8

At 01:26 PM 11/16/96 -0500, Gavin Nicol wrote:
>>I don't think that there is a system that is simpler than SGML which is also
>>100% interoperable with SGML tools. Making all REs significant certainly
>>wouldn't. Some SGML tools use them to format output to make it more human
>>readable (and I like that!!!).
>
>Do NOT say RE when you mean newline. That is the whole source of
>confusion here (the fact that people look upon them as one and the
>same).

Okay. I think that the SGML spec intended for newlines to be REs (as people
have attested here), but I can use a different terminology.

"I don't think that there is a system that is simpler than SGML which is also
100% interoperable with SGML tools. Making all newlines significant certainly
wouldn't be. Some SGML tools use them to format output to make it more human
readable (and I like that!!!)."

Changing the terminology does not change the facts about current tools. EBT
uses these meaningless spaces and newlines all over their Website, both in
content that is obviously generated by DynaWeb and content which I presume
is created by hand.

It is an entirely aestethic argument, but it seems to be a pervasive aestethic.

 Paul Prescod
---
Boycott Shell Oil worldwide!  http://www.web.apc.org/embargo/shell.htm

"Shell is here on trial and it is as well that it is represented by counsel
said to be holding a watching brief."..."The ecological war that the Company
has waged in the Delta will be called to question sooner than later." -Ken
Saro-Wiwa to the tribunal that later executed him.
http://www.goldmanprize.org/goldman/ken.html