Re: Recent ERB votes

W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

> At 08:19 AM 11/11/96 -0600, Len Bullard wrote:
> >
> >> On the other hand, if NS and MS embrace XML, then we have transformed the
> >> world's largest information system into a generic markup based system.
> >
> >No we haven't.  They have.  I doubt they will unless economics compels
> >it.   NS shows absolutely no interest, and MS won't even do us the
> >courtesy of participation other than voting their interests.
>
> I don't think Len's last statement is entirely fair.

Perhaps, but it is accurate.

> In Microsoft's
> defense, Jean Paoli, who's SGML credentials are as good as anybody's on the
> ERB, has not simply "voted MS's interests" (to the degree that they could
> even be meaningfully quantified).  Jean certainly argued for design aspects
> that would make creating Web XML browsers easier and that fit well with the
> general architecture most Web browsers use, but I don't recall him ever
> arguing for anything that was wildly in conflict with SGML conformance.  Of
> course, as we all know, the opinions of one employee and corporate policy
> may be very different.  On the other hand, unless Chairman Bill is looking
> over his shoulder (which I doubt), in this venue, Jean *does* define MS
> policy and I am satisfied that it is consistent with and supportive of the
> general XML goals of simplicity and SGML conformance (perhaps biased a bit
> toward implementation ease, but a bias that is both needed in the group and
> that is understandable given Jean's background and current assignment).

Fine Eliot.  You hear the discussions; I don't.  Let Jean defend his
decisions on the working group list.  Count the submissions:  0.

I don't question his credentials.  I watched Microsoft's participation
in VRML:  it took a brickbat to get them play fair.  Perhaps Jean is
different, but his personality or credibility are not at issue.  The
participation of his company is, a participation that should be, for
fairness sake, up front and public.  The personal policy and the
corporate policy may not be the same, but the personal policy is
the one we see on this list.  I simply hold him to a higher standard
because he represents one of the only two credible sources for
WWW HTML browsers which are being heavily defended.  If Microsoft
has plans or positions, enunciate them and this *gamble* takes on
less risk.

Ok?  Fair enough?

len