Re: RDF/XML Media Type registration draft

Aaron,

Following some informal discussion in the RDFcore working group, I'm
sending these as personal review comments to you, and to the MIME types
review list...

Concerning:
[1]
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-swartz-rdfcore-rdfxml-mediatype-02.txt

Broadly, I think this looks fine, but the RDFcore working group has made a
number of changes to the RDF specifications in response to last call
comments since the above MIME type registration draft was issued.  The
following comments would, in my view, help to bring the proposed MIME type
registration more closely in line with the current RDF specification status.

Section 2, 3:
The citation for the RDF data model is to the RDF Semantics document
[2]:  the definition of the abstract syntax has now been moved to the RDF
Concepts [3], and I think that would now be a more helpful citation.

Section 3:
Would it be appropriate to cite the RDF Semantics in the interoperability
considerations section? E.g.
[[
RDF is intended to allow common information to be exchanged between
disparate applications.  A basis for building common understanding is
provided by a formal semantics [2?], and applications that use RDF should
do so in ways that are consistent with this.
]]

Section 4:
material from Concepts.  I think that it would be appropriate to also pull
it from the MIME type registration;  i.e. remove all of section 4.

Section 5:
Would it be appropriate to cite RDF Concepts here? cf:
   http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-concepts-20030117/#section-fragID

Regards,

[1]
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-swartz-rdfcore-rdfxml-mediatype-02.txt

[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-mt-20030117/
(current editor's working draft)

[3] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-concepts-20030117/

At 10:23 24/07/03 -0500, Aaron Swartz wrote:
>I'm soliciting comments on the media type registration draft for
>RDF/XML:
>
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-swartz-rdfcore-rdfxml-
>mediatype-02.txt
>http://www.aaronsw.com/2002/draft-swartz-rdfcore-rdfxml-mediatype -02.html
>
>As required by section 2.3.1 of RFC 2048, I've sent it for review to
>ietf-types and ietf-xml-mime.  Dan Connolly says the document has
>undergone sufficient W3C review because it is [referenced from the
>syntax draft].  However, I'm happy to take any comments from the WG or
>other W3Cers/RDFers at the same time. Do folks think sending a note to
>www-rdf-interest or something would be in order?
>
>[ref]
>http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-rdf-syntax-grammar-20030123/#section-MIME- Type
>
>I plan to fold in all the comments I receive and release a new version
>in two weeks. (After that, I need to ask the IESG if they want to do
>their own Last Call, wait for RDF to go to Recommendation, update the
>draft to refer to the Recommendation, and then submit it to be
>published as an RFC.)
>
>--
>Aaron Swartz: http://www.aaronsw.com/

Graham Klyne