Re: OOPS: (was: first pass parseType="Literal" text for primer)

At 14:34 28/07/03 +0100, Dave Beckett wrote:
>The XML Canonicalization documents define
>not only "canonical form of an XML document" (the octets) but
>"canonical XML" which is XML written in the canonical form.
>-- http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xml-c14n-20010315#Terminology

Got it, thanks.

Hmmm... it seems to say the right things, but it's not as clear as I'd like.

"The term canonical XML refers to XML ..." so far, so good, because XML is
a s3equence of Unicode characters, right?

"... that is in canonical form."  But they've just said the canonical form
is the UTF-8 encoding.

I'd like to believe this works, but maybe some belt-and-braces would help
us to to be sure, such as:
[[
The string used as the lexical form of the XML Literal is the Canonical XML
obtained by applying Exclusive XML Canonicalization [XML-XC14N]), with
comments and with empty InclusiveNamespaces PrefixList, to the literal text
l, i.e. the entire element content of this property element.  That is, it
is a Unicode string whose UTF-8 encoding is the Canonical XML form of the
literal.
]]

Hmph!  That's pretty heavy going.  Maybe just add the last sentence to what
you already have?

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>