Re: first pass parseType="Literal" text for primer

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:52:04 +0300
"Patrick.Stickler" <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com> wrote:

> OK.
>
> If I'm understanding this correctly, the &lt; and &gt;
> are getting resolved to '<' and '>' by the RDF/XML
> parser,

No.  The XML parser does that.  RDF/XML parsers are XML applications and
merely get the sequence of Unicode characters for such character data.  At
that point you get '<' (Unicode code point #x3c) and '>' (Unicode code
point #3e)

> ... insofar as the XML processing of the RDF/XML
> instance is concerned, but the canonicalization is
> re-escaping them back to &lt; and &gt;?

Yes, reading the specification of canonicalization
clearly tells you that.

> If the entities are not ever being resolved at any
> stage of the parsing process, then that worries me
> alot. It suggests that an RDF/XML parser is not
> playing by the rules of XML fully.

I'm at a loss to see your problem.  For < and >, they go to and fro
between XML documents and used in RDF without loss or change.

These special XML entities (and they are special, read the XML
specifications or even the SGML ones) DO get resolved by the XML parsers.

RDF/XML is defined on top of the Infoset - there are no entities infoitems.

Dave