[Fwd: Not reopening rdfms-literal-is-xml-structure]

Another message that got rdf core dropped from the dist list

Brian

-----Forwarded Message-----

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>, i18n <w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org>
Subject: Not reopening rdfms-literal-is-xml-structure
Date: 17 Jul 2003 14:19:28 +0100

We have, over the last few weeks, discussed in some detail the options
for handling parseType="Literal".  We have reexamined the rationale for
the design represented in the current editors draft, we have explored
new options and worked hard to understand I18N's concerns.

It seems to me that:

  - I18N are likely to formally object to the current design

  - RDFCore is not persuaded that there is a showstopping problem with
the current design

  - there has been no immediate response to my request on rdf interest
[1] for applications that will be adversely affected by the decision to
remove lang tags from xml literals

  - the new proposal suggested by Patrick has not attracted support and
(personal view) it has remaining technical issues

I am disinclined to reopen an issue at this stage for which no
showstopping problem has been identified, nor any specific user
community that will be adversely affected by the current design.

I suggest we do consider a short section in the primer that points out
that it would be wise to use xml literal where one might require
markup.  I suggest the title example is a good one to illustrate the
point.

This course is likely to mean we carry an objection with us to the
director when we request advancement for specs.  It seems to me that we
should back our judgement about the tradeoffs at the risk of being sent
back to try again.

Brian

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-interest/2003Jul/0128.html