RE: XML observation

Er. That might not be *your* primary goal...

But that's why it is crucial to maintain the division
between the encapsulated literal and the encapsulating
markup -- because given the broad applicability of XML,
we cannot *know* what the goal of those literals are,
and thus, we need to be sure we don't stomp all over
someone's application space by infecting those *literals*
with contextual artifacts.

> and
> that's not what they are usually used for.

Again, I know *alot* of folks who will disagree with
you there, myself included.

> Let's not design things
> so that we can make a point, but so that they are most useful for
> what they are most used for.

Rather, let's choose a design that is general, and agnostic to how
XML literals are used, and equally supportive of all RDF applications.

> And by the way, coming back to one of the main points, plain literals
> do inherit language information from the context (if there is such
> information), and there is always xml:lang=""

But as has been pointed out, it should not even be possible,
using the machinery of the encapsulating markup, to modify
the semantics of the encapsulated content.

> if that's not desirable,
> and on the other hand, there is no guarantee that plain literals are
> natural text.

I agree. And I've already noted that the infection of plain
literals by xml:lang is a bug, but one that legacy considerations
prevent us from fixing this time around.

Patrick Stickler
Nokia, Finland
patrick.stickler@nokia.com