RE: XML observation

Thank you, Pat. Alot. Very well put.

This was one of the key points I was trying
to get across to Martin.

RDF/XML is a means to an end. Not the end. And there are many,
many examples of using XML for data interchange which disregard
much if not most of the machinery that XML offers to those for
whom the XML is the final and primary form of consumption.

Years back, when XML was first coming on the scene, I noted
that there was arising (and still exists, well entrenched)
a tension between two very different uses of XML, as you point
out, (a) use as a markup formalism for document modelling and
(b) use as a markup formalism for data structures. The former (a)
are extensions to the XML framework, where it is expected that
the full richness of the XML machinery applies. The latter (b) use
XML to essentially "tunnel" data between systems through XML-savvy
processes and tools, and the XML machinery used for such interchange
relates to the encapsulation of the data, not the abstract model by
which the data itself is ultimately interpreted. I.e. the XML
machinery applies only to the semantics of the encapsulation, not
to the content encapsulated.

These tensions come to a head in cases such as RDF/XML when you
use XML as a markup formalism for a data structure which encapsulates
data that itself uses XML as a markup formalism for document modelling,
since, as Pat points out, XML itself fails to provide any
distinction between the encapsulation and the encapsulated.

In RDF/XML, as Pat again points out, rdf:parseType="Literal"
indicates that boundary between the data structure markup scope
and some internal, literal-specific, document markup scope;
between the encapsulation and the encapsulated.

An RDF literal is precisely that, a *literal*. It should not
be infected with the contextual characteristics of the language
used to describe the data structures which encapsulate it.

I've long disliked lang tags on any of the literals, including
plain literals, and have long hoped that a standardized solution
for general scoping of statements, including language scope as
simply one of an infinite number of possible kinds of scopes,
would emerge.

I myself have been working on using reification for this (and
for other essential needs such as indicating source, authority,
etc.). There are challenges there too, of course. But all in all
it is an approach that is far more in the spirit of RDF than
tacking on a lang tag to a literal in the abstract syntax.

And, Martin, in case you get the impression that I am simply
callous to multilingual issues, let me point out that (a) I have
a Master's Degree in computational linguistics, (b) am multilingual,
(c) work with over 5 million pages of modular documentation and
billions of individually managed resources which represent over
40 different languages, and (d) that language scoping is a key
component of most of what I do. So when I disregard xml:lang in
RDF/XML, it is because doing so is both a sound engineering and
also practical management decision.

The bottom line, as I see it, is that literals should have
been untidy and allowed to be subjects, which would have allowed
one to directly qualify their occurrences for language, datatype,
whatever. If I could go back in time two years, knowing what I
know now, I would have been brutally relentless in my efforts to
have made that happen rather than trusting that the obvious optimal
solution would emerge on its own. Well, cest la vie.

Now, alas, we are left with the constraint that literals are
only objects and we do indeed need to accomodate effective support
(not just the bare minimal support) for the qualification of
language for literals. Fair enough. My answer to this is:

(a) the proper way to do language scoping is to use generic RDF
machinery such as reification, which is applicable to any statement,
and hence any literal. The only major challenge to doing this is
the ackwardness of the RDF/XML when edited manually in a text
editor, but the same can be said for table markup in XML, and just
as XML editors alleviate the pain of table markup so too will RDF
editors alleviate the pain of statement qualification.

(e.g. InferED, http://www.intellidimension.com does this)

(b) the presence of lang tags on plain literals is a legacy feature
from M&S and is mandated by existing applications. I consider this
a design error in the original M&S that we are simply stuck with.

In my own (internal) applications, I plan to infer reification based
language scoping from any lang tags and deal with language qualification
in a proper RDF and OWL manner. I.e.

{
  _:subj _:pred "LLL"@XX .
}
implies
{
  _:statement rdf:subject   _:subj .
  _:statement rdf:predicate _:pred .
  _:statement rdf:object    "LLL" .
  _:statement xml:lang      "XX"^^xsd:lang .
}

where xml:lang is (correctly) interpreted as a language scope,
within which the statement is asserted.

No, that's not part of the RDF standard. Oh well...

It probably would have been better for the parser to autogenerate
the above reification based on the xml:lang scope in the first place
rather than having lang tags in the abstract syntax, but we're way
beyond modifying the design now...

(c) the present modelling of XML literals as typed literals is
forward looking and provides the basis for full support of all
XML Schema types in RDF models. Reverting to a treatment of XML
literals as other than typed literals is a step backwards, not
forwards.

--

So, as someone who has worked on real-world applications of document
models from pre-SGML days, including full scale IETMs, data conversion,

No, it's not perfect. Things rarely are.

I'll say no more on this topic, unless the WG decides to vote on
reopening this issue. Until then, I'll not devote any more time to it.

Regards,

Patrick Stickler
Nokia, Finland
patrick.stickler@nokia.com